As 2022 winds to a close, Uber today released its annual analysis- How India Ubered in 2022 – a glimpse of how India moved this year.
The analysis from trips in 2022 revealed some very interesting trends about cities with the highest number of trips, the total number of kilometers covered in Uber trips, popular travel trends in intercity travel, the city with the most late-night trips, and also several rider preferences. Backed by rider insights and data, the report shares insights on the increasing importance of ridesharing within the country and efforts to create sustainable cities for the future.
The year 2022 saw Indians start traveling big again, and cities swinging back open for business after the pandemic. Uber trips during the year covered as many as 4.5 billion kilometers, which is the distance from Earth all the way to Neptune, the last planet in the solar system since Pluto got kicked out of the team.
The most popular product in terms of number of trips was Uber Go, with Uber Auto coming in a very close second – showing the growing preference for App commute, for vehicles typically hailed off the roads earlier.
The cities with the highest number of Uber trips in 2022 are Delhi-NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, and Kolkata, in that order. While Delhi-NCR did have the overall highest number of trips, it also had the highest number of office-hour trips, going to show how Delhiites and their immediate neighbors in Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad, and Ghaziabad chose to make their way back to work from office.
Below is an overview of insights from ‘How India Ubered in 2022’:
● Indians spent 11 billion minutes traveling in Ubers, getting to where they wanted
● Most Uber trips were booked between 5PM and 6PM
● The most popular day of the week for booking an Uber was Saturday
● What’s Diwali without exchanging a little Mithai and nothing better than having someone else do the delivery. October 22 saw the highest number of package deliveries through Uber Connect in 2022.
● As many as 53% of the Uber trips in 2022 had riders shower drivers with their appreciation in the form of a 5-star rating.
● In terms of preferences for Uber Rentals rides with multiple stops, most riders opted for the 2 hour, 20 kilometer package, helping them get done with business meetings, doctor visits, and other chores